8/11/07

Spoiled Rotten

I don't have to tell you how much we love Robbie. We are a family of 3. He's our boy, our little monster, and sometimes with affection, the little *mf*. He is always the center of attention and he knows it. I'll admit, we aren't very good with teaching him commands or enforcing rules. My girlfriend told me, "You guys haven't trained Robbie at all but he has you guys very well trained." I'm finally starting to see her point. For example, every weekday morning, we have the same breakfast. G has bread with quark and marmalade. I have hard-boiled eggs. I only eat the egg whites and the yolks are for Robbie. If I could describe Robbie's desire for egg yolks with one word, I'd probably use - Crack. As soon as I start to break the shells, he appears, literally shaking with anticipation. But because I can't give him steaming hot egg yolks, he has to wait. Usually they are cool enough by the time I'm finished eating, which can only be around 5 minutes because he will start going nuts if I don't give him the yolks fast enough. He runs from the kitchen to the living room over and over again and he will bark at me until I give him the yolks. So being the well trained parent that I am, I now wait until his yolks cool, so that we can both sit down and eat our eggs without the hysterics. Another example. Robbie isn't allowed to sleep with us. He's a Puggle, a hybrid cross between a Beagle and a Pug, and if you know anything about Pugs, you know about the farting and snoring. G can't sleep with Robbie in the bedroom. But when G travels, of course, Robbie sleeps in bed with me. Well, every time, and I do mean every time he sleeps with me, in the middle of the night, he wants to get off the bed. So instead of just jumping down, like he does all day long, he whines and barks. If I don't respond, he steps on my chest and face to wake me up. Even when I push him and yell "Aus!" - he won't budge. The only way he will jump off the bed is if I turn on the light. Am I crazy or is he really afraid of the the dark? Oh, and he's extremely picky too. Robbie loves his chew sticks. But I can't just open the bag and give him a stick. He won't take it. If I pull one stick from the package and give it to him, he will sniff it, lick it, and then drop it. He won't touch it again. But if I take a handful of sticks out and put them in front of his face, he will sniff a couple, lick a couple, and then chose the one he wants, and go about chewing it for an hour. But only if he chooses the stick. Isn't that insane! It's also insane that at least once a month, he goes on a hunger strike. He won't eat food from his bowl - for days. He will only eat his food directly from my hand. This is a constant argument between us. G says that Robbie is testing me and that if he's hungry enough, he will eventually eat from the bowl. He says that Robbie will not starve himself to death, with food available. I agree with him but I worry. So I always give in. I can't help it, I'm his Mom. And aren't Moms supposed to spoil their babies...oder?

3 comments:

Maria said...

It is worse when they are human, because it is hard to resist all of the kick-ass stuff they have available!

Oh, and ginger is also VERY spoiled. Don't let her fool you. She knows how to get what she wants!

Schokolade Mädchen said...

Maria*

I can not imagine having a "real" baby, especially as adorable as The Boy:) He/She would rotten to the core and we would be broke!

EuroTrippen said...

He's too cute! I'm a huge animal fanatic. If it were up to me I'd have an entire zoo. But for now we just have Dude, our hyper, hyper chihuahua. He couldn't jump on or off the bed, so Jim turned carpenter and made him his very own set of stairs... complete with little runner so he won't get splinters in his paws.

So, yeah, if it's any consolation you're not alone in feeling like you're the trainee instead of the trainer.