8/8/07

Crossing the Line

As I've mentioned before, I have an uncontrollable fear of spiders. If I find one, I can't even kill it. Don't you realize it could wait until the precise moment I get close enough and jump off the wall and bite me on the hand, which would definitely hurt and then the venom would quickly start to dissolve my skin and poison my blood because with my luck, it would be some exotic spider from the rainforest, that somehow survived years outside of it's normal habitat and was living in my kitchen, waiting to kill me? G always indulges my fear by coming to the rescue and killing them. Well, to put things in perspective, the average sized spider in Germany seems to be four times the size of the ones in the US and they have no fear whatsoever of humans. So, on Saturday morning, at G's parents' house, I found myself in the bathroom, standing naked in the shower, staring face to fang with a spider about the size of a silver dollar. I immediately screamed for G. No reply. I yell his name again and his Mom comes to the door, telling me that he's upstairs. I couldn't think of the German word for spider (spinne) fast enough to explain the problem, so I just grabbed the closest weapon available, the shower head. I turned on the water and doused the spider and blew it off the ceiling, to the corner, to the floor! I definitely killed it. But I couldn't bring myself to actually pick up the carcass with toilet paper and throw it away. Of course, after all of the drama, G finally comes downstairs. While I'm explaining what happened, his Dad comes into the bathroom. Luckily, I have my pajamas back on but I'm totally sweaty with my hair all over my head and obviously, having a little breakdown. G's Dad listens and as I'm talking, I see him looking at the ceiling and the walls, completely drenched with water. He says, "Meine Güte!" and picks up the carcass and explains, in an irritated voice, the innumerable reasons why I shouldn't be afraid of spiders. At this moment, I realize that I have just crossed that line of being a "guest" in their house. I am officially getting cussed out, politely, but cussed out, all the same. After he leaves, G says, "He's totally pissed." Perfect. So, I take a shower and get dressed, all the while trying not to really freak out about my soon to be Father In Law thinking I'm some skittish, silly American city girl (accurate). Thank goodness, G helped to smooth things over - we went out and bought a package of his Dad's favorite candy, Lakritz, and with a sincere apology and the peace offering, I think everything was okay. I hope!

4 comments:

Maria said...

Wait a minute. He's mad, because you are afraid of spiders? Yikes! I am a country girl and afraid of spiders, so don't feel bad.

Schokolade Mädchen said...

Maria*

I think it was a combination of my fear and completely dousing the ceiling and walls with water, trying to kill the spider, that ticked him off!

jen said...

dude the spiders here are huge. the biggest lesson i had to learn with my in-laws is that i can't be so invested in their appoval. i'm not like Iris, the perfect hausfrau. I'm not like Nicole who is the village beauty - and sweetheart, beauty is a strech and dumb as a box of rocks. i mean a small box of rocks. like maybe you could skip aone or two on a very quite pond kind of dumb.

and i'm american.

there was no way i could change it. and everytime i tried to show them my worth or explain my differences, i was met with blank stares.

we are different. the cultural divide is huge, lady. HUGE. take a train and come and see me for a a day. you can spend the night and i'll stick you on a train to go back home the next.

and, btw, i don't touch the carcasses either. they might not be dead. And when sparky flushes them, he HAS to use his toilet because i don't want an angry half dead spider bite on my ass.

Schokolade Mädchen said...

Jen*

I am so coming to visit you! And I can't believe you just said that - I get the blank stares too. I remember having a conversation about contemporary restaurants in the US and how instead of just serving one fare, they are combining themes. Like Sushi Samba which serves a combination of Japanese and Brazilian cuisine. Anyway, I mentioned a cute breakfast restaurant in CHI called Orange. I was explaining how they created a twist on sushi, instead serving "frushi" which is fresh fruit rolled like sushi in fruit juice-infused rice. I got the blank stares and then, "Rice......for breakfast?" Ahhhhhhh!