6/3/07

Favors?

"Wedding favors are thoughtful mementos given by the newlyweds to their wedding guests as a symbol of gratitude for sharing their special day." I know I shouldn't say it (sorry Mom!) but most of these mementos end up in the kitchen junk drawer or in the trash less than 24 hours after the wedding reception. How many napkins and matches and mint tins can you really save? I realize wedding favors are an American tradition but after looking at a gazillion different candles, key chains, bubbles, magnets, notepads, wine stoppers, scented soaps, and miniature chocolates, I have found only two feasible ideas.

The Magic Bean. Plant it, water it, and in one week, a sprout with "Love" imprinted on it, emerges from the soil and continues to grow. Cool! Or not? I think Chia Pets are pretty amazing so I have a biased opinion about plants.


Personalized CD Labels. It would be really funny to make a soundtrack of my favorites (Nina Simone/Björk) and G's favorites (Snoop Dog/P Diddy) together. Cheesy but memorable.


Personalized Fresh or Silk Rose Petals. Can you imagine? These are not wedding favors but I had to show you - I love this idea. I think sprinkling them over the guest tables would be beautiful.


Any advice?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more about the trash part of it. We looked at things that might actually get used, like picture frames and ultimately decided to go for something regional. We were able to get little bottles of kirschwasser for the adults. Germans enjoy it and it was something very typically "German" for the American contingent. My mother got "eye" balls that you could squeeze and which lit up for the kids. They were the hit of the party for the under 15 set.

So my thought would be - is there anything local? Could you get gingerbread hearts made at a bakery ? Is there something that would really say "Germany" to your guests who are travelling all that way? (That said, I hope I remember correctly and that you are getting married over here!!)

Schokolade Mädchen said...

Ann*

Yup, I'm getting married in Munich:) We want our nontraditional reception to still be a reflection of both cultures. For example, we are having Kaiserschmarrn (common in Germany and my fav!) as one of the dessert options and as a Midnight Snack, we are having Weisswurst and Brez’n (Bavarian) and mini Spinach Pizzas (US). But as far as favors, I just can't decide.

Maria said...

I am going to preface this by saying my comment is not really going to help you.

I thought at first that we were not going to have favors, because generally I think they are stupid. However, I found a company that sold trees in tubes, so we gave one to each family that came to the wedding/reception. They were great, and people still tell us about how their tree is progressing!

Anonymous said...

The LOVE plant is amazing.