5/29/07

Going Green

As a "pseudo-vegetarian" for over 10 years, I am proud to say that I am taking another step towards becoming a true vegetarian. I've always wanted to be a vegetarian, for too many reasons to list. But the combination of constantly worrying that I wouldn't get enough iron and protein and the lack of choices at restaurants always pulled me in the opposite direction. Eating meat is convenient. While I've stayed away from pork and beef for all of these years, I have allowed myself to have poultry and fish. But after a lot of research and personal reflection, I will not eat chicken or turkey anymore. I won't shock you with details about the horrific living conditions of factory farmed birds. And they are shocking and repulsive. I know how it is....we don't want to know about the process. But I will tell you that the average American consumes 2,714 land animals in their lifetime. If I quit eating meat now, I could prevent the suffering and deaths of hundreds of animals over the course of a couple decades (vegan outreach). And it is a fact that nutritionists agree that plant eaters and fish eaters tend to live longer and healthier lives than meat eaters. Vegetarians have a lower incidence of diabetes and cancer. They have a lower incidence of cardiovascular disease, namely heart attacks and strokes. And vegetarians tend to be leaner than meat eaters, having a low percentage of body fat. Hello! These are just a few of the health benefits. And believe me, hard core meat eaters, I understand the argument can go both ways. But these are my reasons for my choice. I'm not trying to convince you.

There are several subcategories of vegetarians:

Vegetarians abstain from eating meat, fish or poultry.

Vegans do not eat animals or animal products - no eggs, no dairy, no honey, etc.

Ovo-Lacto Vegetarians do not eat animals, but do eat eggs and dairy products.

Semi-Vegetarians aka Flexitarians eat mainly vegetarian food but limit their intake of either certain types of meat. (old me)

Pescetarians do not consume the flesh of land dwelling animals. In contrast to vegetarians, they do eat fish and seafood. (new me)

Raw or Living Foodists eat only raw food, because enzymes are destroyed by normal cooking processes.

Fruitarians eat only fruit, fruit-like vegetables (e.g., tomatoes, cucumbers), and sometimes seeds and nuts.

I realize that I have to stop eating fish and seafood in order to have a clear conscious. I'm going green, slowly but surly:) And while it might be true that one Pescetarian won't make a huge statistical difference in a world of meat eaters, at the very least, I am making choices that are good for myself and good for countless animals.

6 comments:

Maria said...

I am guessing you would find that some of the health benefits are also related to other lifestyle choices. Vegetarians tend to be people who exercise, refrain from smoking and all around make choices that reduce their risk factors for diseases and obesity. The vegetarian who does not exercise and smokes is hard to find.

Schokolade Mädchen said...

Maria*

Well, believe it or not, just last year, I was that vegetarian who smoked and exercise for me was the equivalent of walking to the car after dinner. I realized that I was slowly killing myself from the inside out. But I agree with you. If you care about what you eat, you usually care about the rest of your body. I stopped smoking last year (THANK GOD) and I'm walking, on average, about 4 miles a day with Roby - a major lifestyle change.

EuroTrippen said...

Two things caused me to give up eating meat recently. First, a field trip with my daughter to the local farm... those animals are not only gorses, but treated like shit. I didn't want to be part of it anymore.

Second, a german documentary called 'Our Daily Bread'... it's amazing. There's no narration whatsoever, just shows how foods (both animal and vegetable) are processed. It's really fascinating and oddly poetic, I high recommend seeing it. It was also a real eye-opener for me. Seeing cows artificially inseminated, and the mass murder of all those animals (and you can see they're scared and know what's coming) just made me lose my appetite for flesh. It was more or less easy to give it up.

I'm still guilty of eating fish every so often, but like you I'll probably eventually phase it out. I don't think I'll ever part with eggs & dairy products though.

I've also noticed I have more energy, am slowly losing weight, and just feel healthier overall.
And boy is this a long comment... lol.. sorry!

EuroTrippen said...

Hmmm, 'gorses' was supposed to be 'gross'...

Schokolade Mädchen said...

Eurotrippen*

Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely look for "Our Daily Bread". And I'm with you - I try and try but I can not give up egg whites!

Human Microbiome Search Engine said...

Good explanations of the various types of diets. Thanks

Jim Purdy
fruitarianblog.com
jimpurdy@fruitarianblog.com