7/29/08

Exotisches Essen

How was your weekend? Our weekend started with an oversized Mexican dinner at Uncle Julio's Rio Grande Cafe with our friend, KT. Rio is known for their homemade tortilla chips and salsa.
They're served warm and every time you get down to the last chip, a server magically appears with a new basket of chips, over and over and over again, no matter how many baskets you devour. Obviously, this is one of G's favorite restaurants. After way too many frozen Margaritas and our huge entrees (orgasmic shrimp quesadillas), we rolled ourselves out of the restaurant for a very special meeting. We wanted to introduce Denzel to KT's baby, a Chihuahua, Miss VS. He's really cute and cuddly BUT....with the attitude of a tasmanian devil. Seriously. G and I think he's just pissed off that his name is MISS VS. Needless to say, the meeting didn't go as well as we'd hoped because every time KT put Miss VS down, he growled uncontrollably and his tiny little body shook with anger!

On Saturday, we went shopping at the international grocery store, Fresh World. We have been shopping at Fresh World every week because of the wide variety of fresh produce and ethnic specialty items. The store stocks its shelves with edibles from too many countries to name, with authentic and unique ingredients. I love browsing the aisles and trying new recipes. And they offer samples on Saturdays:) But no matter how many times we shop there, I am still shocked by some of the "exotic" items they offer.

beef blood

live eel

shark

beef knee cap

7 comments:

Maria said...

OK. I could take it all, but the blood made me spit up a bit in my mouth!

M360 said...

oohhh... SHARK! In Trinidad we have this mutha effin awesome dish called "bake and shark" that you get from vendors at a particular beach. It is soooooooooo good! Oh damn! I want it now! Thx for bring up that memory... now I'm salivating!

Schokolade Mädchen said...

Maria*

My thoughts exactly. Ewwwww!

Mental 360*

What does shark taste like? G tried to order Shark Fin Soup in Hawaii but they were sold out. Is it fishy or meaty?

M360 said...

damn that's a tough question. well it's not as flaky as fish, not as stringy as chicken, and not as tough as beef... it's in between all those. i know that may have just confused you even more, but i dunno how else to describe it. sorry :(

Anonymous said...

OMG I love the dog pic.

Anja said...

What devilish eyes she or better he got :-)!!!

I love smoked eel but I hate the way they are being killed like I have seen it when I was a child. Some people poured boiling over them, other people put them in salt and others put them in mineral water. I was awful. But I am not sure if is still being done this way today.

I hope you had a great time.

Schokolade Mädchen said...

Mental 360*

Is it sort of like Frog Legs? It's been years since I had them. But I remember a slight fishy taste but with the consistency of chicken.

Tinakala*

Isn't he fierce!

Anja*

That's awful.
I have to admit, I haven't bought any fish at this market yet because I can't get over seeing them swimming around, enjoying life, and then to think about the guy chopping their head off so that I can take the dead carcass home and grill it - it is so wrong. But I'm a hypocrite all the same. I still eat fish.