9/6/07

Babies

After meeting Christina and her precious little baby, Oliver, I am even more doubtful about my "maternal instinct". Most psychiatrists agree that almost all mothers, human and animal alike, eventually have an inborn tendency to want to protect and nurture one's offspring. I understand that but what about the fear of screwing up, getting in the way of all that nurturing? Oliver is so sweet, with bright blue eyes, and he's already smiling. As I watched him, his tiny legs kicking and hands grasping, all I could think about was, "He's so...delicate." I was afraid to hold him because I thought I might squeeze him too tight, or talk too loud and scare the poor boy. Christina, who admits to never being a "baby person", is already a pro. She's totally calm, she doesn't freak out when he cries, and she held a long conversation with me, while eating her lunch, AND breastfeeding! So does that mean that because I am a "baby person" - always oohing and ahhing over complete strangers' babies - that I'm going to fail miserably? I guess only time will tell. In the meantime, G and I really need to start saving for our future white chocolate baby - did you know strollers can cost up to 1000 €?

11 comments:

Maria said...

LOL! Gotta have the Bugaboo... it's worth every penny. ;-)

Schokolade Mädchen said...

Maria*

We talked about you and the Bugaboo!

R. Duckie said...

Yes, strollers are expensive!! I was sitting in a cafe with a friend who works in a baby store, and she was detailing the prices of everything for us! Imagine $300 for a designer diaper bag..

Christina | AmiExpat.com said...

I'm sure you'll be a great mom! I was freaked out about failing miserably and I feel very confident now. I'm sure it's the same for a lot of women!

Thanks for meeting us. We had fun and are looking forward to the next time we can do it, either in München or Regensburg (or maybe even Ingolstadt).

Bek said...

I can understand how you are feeling. We decided to start a family soon. Dealing with kids every day the thought "what if I do something wrong" just comes to mind. I hope I am learning something from dealing with other people's kids, but I'm sure it will be completely different when it's about the own ones.

Schokolade Mädchen said...

Runaway Rubber Duckie*

I had no idea. I'm not kidding about starting to save for our white chocolate baby!

Christina*

It was really nice meeting you and your family:+) I'm looking forward to seeing you guys again, with G this time!

Bek*

I'm sure you are learning a lot. And practice makes perfect,right?

EuroTrippen said...

You're already a great, nurturing mommy to your pup... they're an excellent training ground for the real thing! Plus if you don't have a fear or two, you're not thinking it through well enough.

Schokolade Mädchen said...

Eurotrippen*

Danke:) He's our little boy for now.

Lynda said...

No matter how worried you are about 'breaking the baby' - within a few weeks you will be flipping them around and wrapping them up like a parcel of fish & chips.

Schokolade Mädchen said...

Lynda*

LOL!

Anonymous said...

I have the same questions about kids (and love the cat, he's enough for now). I'm not qualified to say, but enough of my friends have had kids by now that I can say with some feeling of authority: skimp on other things but not on the stroller, it's Bugaboo or nothing. It saves lives and leaps tall buildings, I swear.

;-)

Good luck on the final stretch of the wedding preparations.