7/14/09

My Donauwellen

Wow, it's been two years since my first "From Scratch" post. It's funny to think of my life then - living in Munich...planning my wedding...learning German... Well, as I promised in that post, I will continue to post photos of my baked creations - no matter what the end result. This attempt at baking the popular German cake, Donauwellen, is a good example of my honesty! Donauwellen is named after the longest river in Europe, the Donau, that begins in the Black Forest in Germany. It's a marble batter filled with cherries that you bake, allow to cool, and then spread a pudding/creme mixture over the top. You're supposed to add a dusting of cocoa powder as the final touch. As you can see, I forgot the importance of the final touch. I also used the wrong baking form. My cake is double the height of an authentic cake. BUT, G and my nephew loved it. That always makes you feel good when you know you kinda messed up the cake!

5 comments:

Maria said...

Looks nummy to me!

Anonymous said...

Ok, this brought back memories of the first time i tried my hand at baking a austro-german specialty. our german club in high school was having a summer cook-out, and everyone was asked to bring something. for the 1st (and - i think - last) time in my life a made a linzertorte! i actually love a good linzertorte, and though the lattice-work on the top was a little iffy, it actually turned out quite good!

Schokolade Mädchen said...

Maria*

What the hell is NUMMY?!?!?! LOL!!!!

Caratime 2*

I know you were proud:) I just looked up what Linzer Torte looks like and my hat is off to you! Wow - looks complicated!

Maria said...

Nummy like nummy nummy in my tummy as in tasty, I want to eat it, get in my belly, num num... take your pick!

Anonymous said...

actually it wasn't too complicated - and i still love it to this day!