1/21/09

The Inauguration of Barack Obama

Yesterday, over two million people traveled to Washington DC to witness the highly anticipated Inauguration of Barack Obama. I was one of them. I woke up at 4am, spent 2 hours on the Metro (normally a 20 minute ride), and stood outside on Pennsylvania Avenue for over 6 hours, with temperatures teetering just above 20 degrees. I even had to use a Porta-potty...several times. And you know what? It was worth every effort. The overwhelming energy of the people and the significance of that moment in American history literally brought me to tears. Amazing.

Here are my highlights:)

2 comments:

Eva said...

While watching the event here in Toronto, I was thinking about you and hoped that you were able to attend. It looks like you were luck enough to get a great view, too.

Cheers!

Schokolade Mädchen said...

Eva*

Girl....:)

It really was a feeling like I have never felt before. Even G admitted to getting a bit emotional when we realized they were walking...not riding in a limo behind tinted glass but actually walking down Penn Ave toward us...you could FEEL the energy from the roar of the crowd.