7/23/07

Mein Dirndl

I finally purchased my first Dirndl, the traditional Bavarian dress. We're taking our parents to Oktoberfest, the day after the wedding and I must admit, I'm really excited to wear it but I'm also a little bit apprehensive because I'm wondering what kind of reactions I might get. I'm sooo not Bavarian:) I bought my Dirndl at Angermaier and surprisingly, the salesgirls were extremely nice and helpful. I think they gathered that I was completely out of my element. I'd like to think I'm pretty stylish but when you're talking about ruffled blouses and aprons, I'm lost. I originally wanted a basic black Dirndl but they pushed me, no - shoved me, into buying a gold embroidered Dirndl with a pink apron. Yes, even I'm shocked at that combination. So now I'm looking for shoes. I've seen traditional shoes but I'm wondering what's common with our generation. Pumps? Sling Backs? Mary Janes?
Any suggestions?

8 comments:

R. Duckie said...

I have one too (bought in the used dirndl store in Munich) I blogged about it at one point..

The fluffly blouse really is tight on the arms. But I think the guys don't mind a girl in a dirndl, however not Bavarian she may be!

tonicito said...

I read somewhere that (according to traditions) it is OK for foreigner girls to wear Dirndl, but that it is NOT OK for foreigner men to wear Lederhos'n. It is frowned upon. Bavarian men (or Austrian men, for that matter) might become quite territorial about that! ;)
I have no Lederhose.

Anonymous said...

Pumps!

Jul said...

Stilettos? :)

When do we get to see it?

Schokolade Mädchen said...

Rubber Duckie*

I actually had to exchange my blouse because the sleeves were too fluffy - I looked like a football player up top! My new blouse is much better.

Tonicito*

I asked G about the Lederhos'n and he said that's not true. He said when Bavarian men see an Ausländer in Lederhos'n, they think it's cool because it means the Ausländer is trying to imitate them. It's like a compliment. He remembers a Black man, dressed in Lederhos'n, at last year's Oktoberfest, and all of the German guys were giving him the thumbs up sign and toasting him because of the outfit. I hope I get the same response:)

Tinakala*

Pumps would be the easiest to find, huh?

Jul*

I would love to wear Stilettos (they always look the best with any dress) but G said the Oktoberfest tents are packed - people step on your shoes all the time so I have to have shoes that are at least a little comfortable and not so fabulous that I can't get them scuffed up a bit. I'll post pictures tomorrow!

christina said...

That sounds like a really pretty dirndl. Yep, low-heeled pumps are the way to go, or sometimes they wear those oxford-type shoes that lace up on the side, if you know what I mean.

When you tie your apron strings, make sure the bow is on the right. That means you're already taken. If it's on the left it means you're available! You'll probably get your bottom pinched anyway though. You know how Oktoberfest can be. :-)

Schokolade Mädchen said...

Christina*

Thanks for the info! This will be my first Oktoberfest - I haven't heard anything about pinching butts?!?

Michelle said...

Yay! Congrats on ending the search.. sounds very pretty. I will resume when I get back from the US - I'm running out of time. Thanks for the tip.