3/11/07

Introducing Maddy!












Walt Disney's first black princess!

The Walt Disney Co. has started production on an animated musical fairy tale called The Frog Princess, which will be set in New Orleans and feature the Walt Disney Studio’s first black princess. Maddy joins eight other Disney princess characters. Disney introduced its first non-white animated heroine in 1992's Aladdin, a Middle Eastern character named Jasmine. In 1995, an American Indian princess appeared in Pocahontas . Then a Chinese heroine appeared in 1998's Mulan. Other Disney princesses are the main characters from Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Beauty and the Beast, and my favorite, The Little Mermaid. The Disney Princesses Collection creates toys, books, clothing, furniture and other merchandise aimed at girls ages 3 to 8. The Frog Princess is set for release in 2009. Bravo Disney!

4 comments:

EuroTrippen said...

As the mommy of a 6 yr-old girly-girl I can confidently say I know & love each and every one of the little princesses. Except of Snow White that is, she just rubs me the wrong way.

Can't wait to see TFP!

Isabelle said...

I absolutely love Disney's animated movies.. and like you, The Little Mermaid is one of my favorites! But I can't wait to see this movie, and I'm sure it's going to be great! Now if only I had nieces to watch it with... alas, my nephews are not interested (sigh). And I agree with Eurotrippen.. Snow White is annoying..

Anonymous said...

Yeh I just blogged about this over at Highbrid Nation, check it out if you get a chance. Anyway, it really is about time Disney gave little girls a black princess to look up to. Its long overdue. I also think its great that the film will take place in New Orleans. I'll definately have to take my neice to the Frog Princess.

Schokolade Mädchen said...

Eurotrippen & Isabelle**
I love all of the Princesses too! I can't wait to see the movie with my little God Sister:+)

But what's wrong with Snow White?!