1/27/07

Karma

Do you believe in Karma? To me, it's the basic idea that what goes around, comes back around. What you put out in the universe is what you will receive in return. However you treat people is how people will treat you. I believe in Karma. I always try to be empathetic. And most of the time, G is the same way. This morning, after G came in from taking Roby out, he told me that while he was out, he saw an elderly couple parking in front of the hospital. After they got out of the car and began walking, he noticed a green wallet on the ground next to their car. He picked it up and immediately ran behind them yelling, "Entschuldigung, entschuldigung, entschuldigung!" He gave it back to the lady and of course, she was very appreciative. G tells me this story and then he said, "I wanted to make sure I gave it to them before someone else noticed. I mean, I would hate for that to happen to me." Karma. When we were leaving for Florida last month, we were going through airport security and as my purse and jewelry came through the opposite end of the x-ray machine, included with my things, was a cool tiny cell phone. It looked brand new and to me, although technologically challenged, it looked like one of those new phones that has a thousand other capabilities other than just being able to talk. I asked the people behind me and the people in front but no one claimed it. Even though we were running late, I took the phone over to the security desk. I would hate to lose my cell phone. Karma. When we were in Hawaii, someone left their wallet on a couch, in the lobby of our hotel, with their room key and cash sticking out. We returned it to the front desk. Karma. I'll never forget the time I was in the ATM drive-thru lane waiting for the woman in front of me to finish. She pulled off and when I pulled up, her ATM card was still in the machine and her account still open. The screen said, "Would you like another transaction?" I hit no, took out the card, parked, and took the card into the bank. If I forgot my card in the machine, I hope someone would turn it in instead of stealing money from my open account. Karma. I'm not telling you this to get cool points for myself and G. It's just that I believe that by choosing to do the right thing, even when the wrong thing is the easy and profitable choice, being honest will greatly affect our future. And even if someone doesn't return G's lost wallet or my cell phone from a taxi, the bottom line is that I'd rather just be a good person. Besides, everybody knows...God don't like ugly.

3 comments:

Maria said...

I do believe in Karma and in being a good person overall. I just wish more people would be like "us." And on the flip side, I have to wonder why bad things happen to good people.

Thanks for your thoughtful post. :)

Schokolade Mädchen said...

Maria - Danke:+) How's Ginger?

Maria said...

Ginger is doing well. I think she's a little jealous of our new addition though, but as things settle down, I am sure she will return to normal. :)