12/14/06

Sweet Dreams

When I saw this box of cereal, my first thought was, "Mmmmm. I would love to lie in bed and eat those little pillows straight from the box." Don't they look yummy? I decided to take a picture and of course, G protested and said people would think I was strange. When I insisted, he simply walked to another isle and pretended we weren't together. Anyway, then I wondered how can a breakfast cereal have so much sugar, almost like a dessert. When I was kid, my Mom didn't allow us to have sweet cereal. We were stuck with Chex, Kix, and Wheaties, the breakfast of champions. More like the breakfast of the bland. Her favorite was Cheerios. And we almost drooled at the table if were allowed to have...brace yourself......Honey Nut Cheerios. Party time! Don't get me wrong, as an adult, I appreciate my Mom giving us nutritonal breakfast cereals rather than cereal that would have rotted our teeth and made us fat. But when I was a kid, I would have traded my Cabbage Patch Doll for one box of Fruit Loops or Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I wanted to be cookoo for Cocoa Puffs. Remember Fruity Pebbles? And Lucky Charms? Those magical marshmallows.......pink hearts, yellow moons, orange stars, purple horseshoes, and green clovers. And don't get me started on the king of all cereals, Captain Crunch! Oh well, that time has passed. Now I'm a Special K and Shredded Wheat kind of girl. Thanks Mom.

1 comment:

Christina | AmiExpat.com said...

I like your things you miss list. I seriously miss Victoria's Secret too and haven't found a good alternative yet.

And I was a weirdo little kid. We had Cookie Crisp and Cocoa Puffs and all that sugary stuff and you know what I wanted? Grape Nuts.