1/7/08

One of Munich's Best Kept Secrets

Munich is such a cool city. Every time I think I've experienced just about everything it has to offer, I discover yet another surprise. Last weekend, we discovered Arabesk, the first Arabian restaurant to open in Munich, in 1984. We love Arabian cuisine, especially hummus and the flavorful spices they use to season grilled meat and fish. By the way, I have to mention that I have created my own hummus recipe. The ingredients are not very authentic, but it tastes the same and with half the fat. I'll post the recipe soon. Anyway, when you walk in Arabesk, you are overwhelmed by the decor. The walls and ceiling are literally covered with intricate Arabian tiles. It's really one of the most beautiful restaurants I've seen in Munich. Most of the seating accommodates large parties but if you have a party of two, you can reserve a small private booth - super romantic. We chose to sit up front, near the stage because they feature live Bauchtanz, or Belly Dancing. And this Belly Dancer was awesome! I still can't figure out how she can shake her bottom half so fast and keep her top half perfectly still. I have been trying so hard to imitate her moves for G and his only response is shaking his head... The Belly Dancer was also very personable - she picked out guests from the audience to join her on stage. Yes, I was chosen, and yes, I went up on stage and tried to shake my moneymaker and no, I will never post those pictures!

They also offered Schischas or Hookas. Love it! It's so relaxing after a meal. But before the meal, we started with a variety of Mäsä, or appetizers. Everything was dynamite, especially the hummus. For our main courses, G ordered lamb and I ordered fish. His lamb "melted in his mouth". And my fish? Well, at first, when my dish arrived at the table I was a little intimidated. The fish was served whole, with the head on, one eye staring. But our waiter must have seen my reaction because he quickly came over and offered to cut and debone my fish. He delicately deboned my fish, tableside. And it was delicious.

Our experience at Arabesk was an 11 out of 10. Really! The food, decor, atmosphere, service, and entertainment - they were all unique and superb. If you are in Munich, it is a restaurant not to miss.

5 comments:

Elemmaciltur said...

OMG...the waiter came and cut and debone your fish for you at the table?!

If this restaurant is in my price range (yeah, being a student and all), I might try it out one of the days.

Schokolade Mädchen said...

Elemmaciltur*

EXCELLENT service. It's not expensive, especially if you choose to sample some of the appetizers, instead of ordering a main course. And they also have a lunch buffet special M-F. But unfortunately the Belly Dancing is only on the weekends.

EuroTrippen said...

Wow, what a beautiful restaurant! We'll have to check it out the next time we're in Munich.

Elemmaciltur said...

@SchokoladenMaedchen: LOL, I'm totally not interested in the belly dancing. And I looked at their menu and price online and it's swing-able for me. Prolly have to fork up about EUR 30 for a meal, but I guess it would be worth it. Have to see what my bf thinks. :-)

Schokolade Mädchen said...

Eurotrippen*

You should. And you could check us (me&G&D) out too - we could all meet for dinner.

Elemmaciltur*

OH MY GOSH! DUUUUHHHHHHH!!!!

We should hook up too - we are neighbors!